Saturday, 27 April 2013

Boat Returning to Borrowed Mooring, So Sickle Back to Base.

(Boat Sickle - Friday 26th & Saturday 27th April 2013 - posted by Alan)

Seabrook Locks
Circumstances had allowed "Sickle" to remain closer to home, on a mooring adjoining "Chalice's" for longer than expected, but we now knew  that the boat that belonged there was expected back.  So this was the trip to take "Sickle" back to her home mooring.

We had still not managed to get as much done as expected whilst we had her at 'Cooks', but at least we were getting the chance of another trip.

Seabrook Locks again.
It is our preference if we can get on board at 'Cooks' on a Friday evening, after Cath has finished work, to boat up the canal a few locks, and spend the night somewhere quiet.  A favourite spot is just above the two Ivinghoe locks, and that is what we did this time.  I was surprised deep draughted "Sickle" could be persuaded to come in close to some new piling that has gone in there, but she was still just about floating when at the bank - something you can never take for granted with an ex working boat!

Approaching Ivinghoe Locks after a night spent just above.
I don't have the pictures to prove it, unfortunately, but it was a truly stunning evening, as the sun set, with Ivinghoe Beacon fading into the darkness.  Later on a moonlit night produced some wonderful silhouettes from the trees that line the canal here.  Its a lovely spot, and that night it was magical.

We had knocked off the first 3 locks (at Seabrook) on the Friday evening, leaving a fairly leisurely 12 still to do on the Saturday, (or maybe eleven and a half, as the shallow "Fenny" lock barely qualifies somehow!

Saturday was a day of mixed weather - at times brilliant sunshine, at others heavy showers.  If I include one of the pictures of Cath togged up against the fouler weather I don't think I'll be too popular (!), so the photos will more likely show the bits where the sun was attempting to shine.

The sun is out for supermarket stop at Leighton Buzzard.
At Willowbridge Marina we passed Mike Askin's coal boat "Victoria".  Mike had already had problems with a hull leak when on his trip to Ellesmere Port, and some running repairs had been done.  However he was apparently now finding new water appearing in his hold, and clearly a bit concerned "Vicky" was still in trouble.  He explained he rather feared any leak was under the large tank that "Victoria" has in her hold to hold diesel fuel for resale to other boats.  Obviously not the best of places if you need to try and get to it in a hurry!

Cooks Wharf to Fenny Stratford (Grand Union)
Miles: 15.0, Locks: 15

No comments:

Post a Comment