Monday 14 July 2014

(Boat Chalice - posted by Alan)
Retrospective post from Monday 14th July

A non-intensive day, but I knew I needed to be in Stoke Bruerne before the evening.  I am on the Boating Subgroup of the South East Waterways Partnership, and a meeting was scheduled for tonight which initially I thought I would have to send apologies to.  However another member of the group lives in Stoke Bruerne, and I had arranged a lift to the meeting.

Being well ahead of where we thought we might be this morning we had plenty of time.  However we needed fuel and a couple of texts established that although Julia's fuel boat was "at home" at the bottom of the Stoke Bruerne flight, Julia herself would not be back until early afternoon.  So we tied up there and had a relaxed lunch until she arrived.

In the meantime our friends Richard and Ruth arrived down the flight with their boats "Comfortably Numb" and "Echos", and tied up for services, so we were able to see their poor dog Lister who got very severely mauled by another dog on the towpath a few weeks back - a very unfortunate and stupid incident where a dog with known issues was not muzzled.  The wound has taken ages to heal, being so severe, and the stitches have failed several times, but mercifully "Lister" does seem to be continually improving both physically and mentally, (the attack initially having left him terrified of just about everything I think).  Lister is not quite ready to bounce around with Odin in their usual exuberant style, but I don't think he is far off now.  Ruth's blog about Lister's latest is here.

With "Chalice" finally fuelled up, we were quickly up the flight, and I was away to my meeting.  I'm glad I went - they are still trying to push through further visitor moorings restrictions, and the evidence being used to support the case is simply flawed in my view.  I will continue to argue against further restrictions unless convincing data can be brought forward by CRT to establish the need.

Great Linford to Stoke Bruerne Top Lock
Miles: 18.9 (Chalice), 0 (Sickle), Locks: 8

Total Miles: 33.7, Locks: 23

No comments:

Post a Comment